Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11


I remember where I was....I remember the fear that I felt, I was sitting in a room that was a powder keg and wanted to be home. I was starting our breakfast at work, it was my day to cook. A TV that was normally hidden from supervision was sitting on the table from a Monday night football game party. I turned it on for noise and as I turned it on, they announced that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers, it chilled me in an instant? This was no accident, how can anyone miss the towers? It was not foggy??? I called and reported the news on the walkie talkies, and as I did, I watched in horror as the second plane hit the second tower. It shook my inner soul, we were at war!!! We were being invaded, we Americans, strong and proud, were being attacked, I want to go home. I was in a lunchroom that sat atop grainmills in the brewery, we were always at risk of explosion, it was a powder keg all the time and today was no different, I wanted to go to my family. I wanted to see their faces and know they were OK. I sat with other brewery workers as we alerted others to the news, a dark cloud hung over us as we went through our daily routines. The flag wavers all came out in full force and America was stirred up!!!! Almost 3,000 innocent people, went to work, like I did and died in a terrible attack, they were not in a war zone, they went to Starbucks bought a coffee, carried their briefcases and purses and rushed into work, talking on their phones, talking to thier friends, there was no gunshot, there was no warning, there was no war. So many of us have forgotten what happened, how it happened, people jumping to their deaths, the sound of them hitting the roof, like rain. How we all were shaken off of our foundations. Our memories are short, we are now going about our business and put it behind us....we need to support our men and woman keeping us safe from another terrorist attack!!! My heart goes out to all of the families of the victims, I also want to remember all of the Americans that rushed to help after the attack, that left their families to go search and rescue victims. Ordinary people from all over America, that wanted to help!!!!! You gotta love our Spirit, I am proud to be an American.

No comments: