Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What can be said?


Coming from a family that is all too familiar with the hazards of mining, my heart goes out to the families of the deceased in West Virginia. My parents come from the UP and copper mines were the main stay of jobs there. I know both my Grandfathers worked the mine and so did my Dad for a short time. It was how they earned a living. Everyday going deep into the earth on a car that you had to sit back to back with your knees angled off, so not to hit the walls on the descent. I know my Grandpa wore shoes that had nail in the soles and my mom wasn't sure why, if it was for traction or what, but she knew they were really heavy Sundays he had to go check the integrity of the timbers and shoring inside the mine..by himself, so that others would be safe. Mom had a teacher that lost her husband in a cave in and told her students that each morning when you say goodbye to your fathers you may never see them again...they may never come out of that hole. As morbid as that seems it was a reality. These people live with that fear each day. I pray for their courage and strength, I also sympathize with their being misled and false hope. They have been through a lot. I can't imagine the stamina it will take for their friends and families to go to work again for another day. My sympathy with them all.
I finished my skein and it is washed and ready to knit....I will have to let it sit awhile before I decide what to do with it. I am fighting a sinus infection, that is totally dragging me down. Join the crowd!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father grew up in copper country up in the UP and last summer when I went for a visit to my brother's in Eagle River he took us to the UP and we stopped at one of the mines. I get clostrophobic just thinking about going in one much less working in one daily. My thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones and the brave souls that go down in the mines to put food on the table and clothing on the backs of their families.

Well back to work for the first week of 2006. What a nightmare. Who ever though that starting Medicare D before any of the bugs were even considered should have to spend a month helping out in a pharmacy to see the chaios that they started. Knit till you drop!

Spiderlady said...

Speaking of bugs...I have one...I don't know if it's the flu or a virus or sinus or ...just shoot me. Happy New Year. No wonder I like you...you have Uper blood!!