Thursday, December 01, 2005

Making Ice

My brother loves to fish...more than anyone I ever knew. He keeps my freezer in fish and his own. He can put down one heck of a lot of bluegills and is an excellent fish cook! This year he has all new ice fishing clothes, new boots, outter suit, right down to new undies. Last year we worked on fingerless gloves, him telling me what he needed and me trying to oblige his wishes. He just wanted the tips off and so I tried to serge them, which caused mushrooming around the finger tip..(fish hooks get caught in flared tips) so this year we needed to tweek the gloves. He came over with a shopping bag of alterations. I altered the polar fleece pants to slim down at the ankle to fit snugly to the leg allowing the boot to fit smoothly over the pants...(I was given specific directions) Then we moved on to the gloves. I think he had a ream of them...or a gaggle? Anyway, I use lycra like a bias tape and split the $1.50 pair of jersey gloves at the fingers and sewed them back closed on three fingers of each glove. We had perfected the tipless fishing glove!! As far back as I can remember, we were always very close...I won't go into the tortures I invented to make him tough, but? When I need help, I can count on him to be there for me and in all of my bad life decisions he never judged me (to my face anyway)!! We get along fantastically and he has much better taste in mates than I ever will!! I can't ever remember making him so happy as I did altering those silly gloves....He is going to wear them out trying them on and taking them off. He has called me minimum of three times in two days to tell me how great they are...and he hasn't even used them. To fish anyway!! Hopefully they will assist in catching lots of fish this winter!! I think I know what to give him for Christmas!!

No comments: