Monday, March 22, 2010

Good Acrylic

Just to set the record straight, I am a natural fiber and yarn shop. I carry one type of acrylic, it is not Red Heart and no I don't carry the "Good" Red Heart. For that you would have to go to the "good" acrylic store like...Michaels??? I don't want to snub anyone but I myself, find it hard to put hours and hours of work into something and have plastic when I am done and as far as babies go, I wouldn't want to put my baby into a plastic bag, because I am too lazy to hand wash something. Mothers are using wool soakers and then to put on an acrylic sweater???? why bother. Take a little acrylic put it outside on the sidewalk and light it with a match....poof, melted, imagine that on your babies skin? Why do you think the helmut liners for the soldiers are made of wool? It doesn't melt, imagine a burn that they have to pull the melted plastic off of when it cools and turns hard....I have felt the wrath of acrylic, it isn't pleasant. Wool is a natural and renewing resource, no sheep are harmed in the process. Wool will eventually go back to the earth, as will cotton, and rayons, but acrylic will be forever plastic as a matter of fact they should have to dispose of it in the recycle bin. The only acrylic I carry was under pressure of this cute little sweater that someone made and is self patterning, but when it's gone it is gone. I want more room for "beautiful yarns". Yarns you want to touch and love to work with. With everything going green, how about knitting green and using Natural fibers!!!! Good fibers, Wool will keep you warm and cool, wool wicks moisture away from you, they even make a new fiber called smart wool....after years of realizing it really works!!! Yeah for the sheeps!!!! So if you are looking for all of that plastic yarn, sorry it's not just 4 ewe, you're looking for....babe....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use acrylic because my baby has eczema, and reacts terribly to wool. You clearly love your natural fibres, but I wanted you to know that for some, it isn't always and option (as much as I would love it to be).