Sunday, May 30, 2010

Graduation Days


Today I am going to a graduation party. I wanted to make a card, something special that would include money. I hate to just give money. I have been mulling this over and nothing was coming to me, no ideas, no flashes, no great interventions. So here I sit, I decided to look up some sayings and came across this one.

During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely," the professor said. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello. "I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy.
Joann C. Jones

It is so true, we walk/run through life and never even engage in conversation with people. You see people walking together, each on their cell phones?? Dining out and checking emails, FB and Farmville. We are losing sight of things. My parents told me that you regard everyone as an equal, and NO job is demeaning, wether you clean toilets or are a Dr. you are working and that is to your credit. You are a human being and deserve that respect, say Hi, just be nice. You are no better than them, added to this was my dad saying, in his crude but true wisdom, "They shit just like you do" Think about that though, we are all the same, really. We all have the same bodily functions even if we are Dr.s , Lawyers, the President, when it comes down to it, we are no better, bottom line. Take away all of your store bought items and standing naked, no one would be able to tell if you have money or not, well now adays someone might have a tighter face, bigger boobs and no cellulite it's true. Why then do we feel we can't say hi to the bathroom attendant, the kid busing tables at a restaurant. I remember working in office buildings downtown, I was cleaning the air handling units in some office buildings and these were room size air units. I knew what I was in for so I wore a bandana on my hair and long sleeves to climb into these units to clean out the black dirt. We had to wear safety glasses to keep your eyes protected. I crawled out and into the hall and my partner started laughing at me, I took off my glasses and that was the ONLY white part, I was filthy dirty and all sooty. I went to use the restroom and an office worker came in while I was washing my hands and said "they couldn't pay me enough to get THAT dirty" I am a woman......I replied with," you don't get paid as much as I do and for the money I am making I can buy a lot of soap. " I looked around and in this beautiful office high up mucky muck bathroom, some High paid woman took wet wads of toilet paper and threw them on the ceiling. I never saw that kind of filth in the port a potties we used on construction sights. Why did she think she was better than me? To this day it makes me giggle, besides I like to get dirty. Take time to acknowledge someone...in a positive way.

No comments: