Monday, May 17, 2010

Bucket Lists and Old friends

I didn't know what you call it when you are 14 years old but I had a list of things I wanted to do in my life. One was ride a bike and deliver newspapers throwing them on porches, the other was to pump gas at a station. Those were two outstanding things on my list and I did both of them. The first one I did in Illinois helping my cousin deliver papers, it was fun and I wasn't a bad throw either. The second I did when my best friend wanted to get laid by her boyfriend that worked at a Martin station. At the time I didn't quite get that term and I don't know how much she really did, I was rather naive about that. I was a great excuse, she could do anything as long as she was with me, she was pretty, sexy and I was .....me. I was the excuse, not that she was ever under any curfew, and I didn't know what she was doing. My dad called her a slut, but she wasn't like that around me, but knowing what a bad judge of character I am and how good of one my dad was, I am now sure he was right. She always had boyfriends, I always got her car. She had a Road Runner, gold with a white roof, she would go with her boyfriend and I got her car?? Sounded good to me, so I must have been 16 and we had to meet this guy at the gas station where he worked, he was a cutie and he really liked Julie, so much so he left me in charge of the station while they went " somewhere" I probably thought they were just riding around??? duh!!! He had a friend Al that they kept trying to set me up with, Al had frizzy hair and black glasses and the farthest thing from my ideal date. I had excuses for that one too. So while they were out "riding around" gas stations at the time were full service, so I got to be a gas jocky for a few hours, it was always something I wanted to do. So time after time I think of Julie, and I did see her a time or two after graduation and she always had elaborate stories of driving a semi truck across country??? I think what she meant was driving to truck stops across Country and another time she stopped at my house, I was kind of shocked, she had two kids and I may have been having a rummage sale or just moving in??? Today I saw her and her mom, she still looks the same, now she raises horses and either owns or keeps 30 of them on their farm. She is married and all she said about her kids is they are grown and she has two grandchildren. I didn't have much to say to her, but my mind floated back to high school and our friendship, she had a nice car!!!!!!

No comments: